Friday, April 19, 2013

Lilac's Impressions: Spring 2013 (Week 1)



Well guys, here we are again! A new season of anime is upon us, and I am going to try and narrow down the pack of ten series I hand picked prior to the start of the season. My goal is to cut at least half of them due to time constraints. This season we’re gonna explore the good the bad and the potentially insane. Sadly, since I started this late, a lot of shows are into their second episode. So I have a lot of ground to cover! Well, let’s get under way!


Arata the Legend 
Episode 1 & 2

When looking at the charts for this season, I liked the idea of this story. Especially the part where the main character had to dress as a girl. However, what I didn’t know is that was just a short plot point to get us into the real meat and potatoes. The first episode was completely full of plot to get modern day Arata and old school Arata to switch places. But the second episode completely slows down and I’m kind of left with the meh sort of feeling. I wanna give it one more try, however, I feel like I need to move on to something else. Maybe I’ll come back to this in the future, but for right now, I’ll skip over anymore episodes of this series.



Attack on Titan
Episode 1 & 2

This series is one of the more anticipated shows for the season. Hell, I think the last time something was this anticipated was the Lupin the Third spin off series last year. But, so far, Attack on Titan just keeps on moving. It just doesn’t take much time to calm itself down and smell the roses. This is a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing so far because these two episodes have been setting the world and story up. It’s a curse because you don’t get a lot of chance to be with our main trio of characters during more quiet times. I am going to see where this series is going to go. Doesn’t matter why, I just want something epic. I just hope it doesn’t turn out bad since the manga is ongoing. And we all know what happens sometimes when the manga is ongoing while the series airs... *cough* Hellsing *cough cough*




Date A Live
Episode 1


What in god’s name did I just watch? I am just completely speechless right now. I just don’t have anything to say about it. I was actually some what hopeful for this one. It didn’t seem like a terrible thing. But then I get near the halfway point and I just couldn’t say anything! There is no way I can watch another episode of this junk. FUNimation, I am disappoint... Why did you pick this nonsense up?







The Devil is a Part Timer
Episode 1 & 2


This one is something I never expected to be good! I honestly thought it was going to be a terrible comedy trying to do something new and different. But after watching the first two episodes, I’m totally hooked! Just the entire situation Satan and the others are in and how well they try to adapt is wonderful to watch. I’m curious to know what will happen next! We already have Satan, a servant of his, and the hero hanging out in modern day Japan. It’s just hard to say what will come out of it next. Ok, FUNimation, this makes up for picking up Date A Live.





Flowers of Evil
Episode 1 & 2


You know how I just mentioned that Attack on Titan’s story was a blessing and a curse? Well, Flowers of Evil is a blessing and a curse but in a completely different sense of the phrase. The animation of this one is unlike anything I’ve seen in recent years, or ever before for that matter. And I know that it’s become a hot debate over at the Bukkit forums with some people singing its praise for being different and others shitting all over it for being trash. I honestly didn’t know what to think after the first episode, but it did seem to peak my interest a bit going into episode 2. I still can’t quite make out what this show really is, but I can’t help but want to watch more. I guess we’ll have to see where the third episode takes us.



Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Episode 1 & 2


I’ve never been one for Mech shows. Somehow, they just never interested me. The only one that I was moderately fine with was Code Geass, and that’s more because of the characters. Coming into Gargantia, I decided to go in with an open mind and see if this series is different than what I’m used to. And it certainly is! You start off with the typical SciFi/Mecha show with some space battle. But then you send our main male character into some weird worm hole and send him to Earth where all there is is water and many ships rigged together to form fleets. It’s a little bit slow to start, but I think it’s about to really pick up. I hope we can really have some fun with this one.





Kareneval
Episode 1 & 2


It’s been a while since I’ve seen a good bishonen. Last season I tried Hakkeden, but that didn’t go over well. This season we have Kareneval, a show involving a defense force full of Circus performers. Well, that’s nothing quite like I expected. It’s a very interesting concept and idea. Granted, it’s taken me a little bit to understand what’s going on and the climax of episode two was a little bad. However, I’m interested to see where this show is going to go. I can give it another episode, but after that we’ll have to see. I do have a couple questions that I need answered, and a third episode might give me at least some of the answers.



Photo Kano
Episode 1


I’m into Photography. I took a couple classes in college, and I do some work from time to time. When I saw that there was to be a series that has photography as part of it’s appeal, I had to watch it. But I am greatly disappointed. From the opening of the series I knew this was in no way the series I was hoping for. And I only lasted about twelve minutes before closing out of the screen. There’s way to many panty and boob shots that just take me out of it. And it also doesn’t help that I suspect a harem show going on here! I want something that’s actually serious about photography, not some stupid harem. Oh well, back to the drawing board.






RDG Red Data Girl
Episode 1 & 2


RDG was one of the first series I picked this season. I liked the story concept, so I wanted to try it. Something that bugs me a little bit, though, is the slow start it has. We are gradually being introduced to the world and characters that we will see throughout the series. By the time we reach the end of the second episode, the actual plot seems to become a little bit more clear. I’m trying to decide wether or not I want to keep watching this show, and I want to go straight into episode three. However, I want to save that for next week. I hope we get a few more answers in the next episode before I drop the show.




Zettai Bouei Leviathan
Episode 1


When I looked at the chart for the spring season, I wanted to get a taste for everything and anything new. This includes some series that I normally don’t watch. Leviathan is one of them. However, I barely made it through episode one. Part of it was the lack of interest I have in the characters. Part of it was the stereotypical cliches you some times see in similar shows. But mostly was it was actually, in my opinion, kind of boring. Maybe it’s because I watched the first episode at nine at night while sick and after my spring production just wrapped, but doesn’t really matter much. It isn’t interesting, so I’m dropping it.






So, let's see where we are at right now!

Passing (Episode Count):
Attack on Titan (2)
The Devil is a Part Timer (2)
Flowers of Evil (2)
Gargantia of Verdurous Planet (2)
Kareneval (2)
RDG Red Data Girl (2)

Officially Dropped (Episode Count):
Arata the Legend (2)
Date A Live (1)
Photo Kano (1)
Zettai Bouei Leviathan (1)

I know this season's Impressions are gonna be short, but I couldn't really start out while our Spring Production was going on. But next week, we wrap up six series with their episode threes! Including RDG, even though it's third episode is currently out. Until next time, otaku on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment