Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lilac's Impressions: Fall 2013 (Week 1, Pt. 1)


Here we go! We are off an running in the first official week of my Impressions of the Fall 2013 anime season! This time around, we’re starting with, not ten but, eighteen series with the goal of cutting it down in half by the end of a series third episode! I’m going to try and make these posts twice a week since there are so many series I picked out. I will take nine shows that began airing this past week and post my thoughts on Sunday while the second half will be posted on Saturday. There is one more show, on my list, that is scheduled during the third week of the Fall season, so that will be covered in either the Saturday or Sunday posts. I just haven’t decided when yet. When I get towards the third week, I’ll be trying to put the remaining shows together into one final post, including the the late comer. Now, previously, I had seen the first episode of Diabolik Lovers and mentioned my thoughts on the first episode with my Early Impressions post. So, I think it’s only fair to start off and get this show out of the way now. So here we go.


Diabolik Lovers
Episode 2 & 3


Guys? I think I have a problem... I kind of like Diabolik Lovers. There are a million reasons why I shouldn’t like this series, but right now I do. It’s kind of scary. I think the reason I kind of like this series is the characters. The vampire brothers have the sadistic nature of vampires instead of the mysterious lost soul kind we’re used to. Also Yui as our main female character is already a million times better than another female character we all have seen this year. *cough* Amnesia *cough cough*. Ok here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to keep following this show while the rest of my Impressions goes on, and I’m going to reserve the right to drop it at any point with in that time. I want to find a reason not to watch this show. If I still like it by the end of the actual three week time, I'm saying this now, I will review the hell out of this show once Fall is over. Cause I really want to figure out what’s wrong with me. Also, I wanna know what’s wrong with Sentai Filmworks cause they now have it.

Temporary Grade: Pass


Beyond the Boundary
Episode 1


Well that’s one way to start a series. From that first scene with the “suicide” I can tell this is going to be an interesting show. It has it’s moments where it’s really relaxed and a bit comedic, but it does go back to the serious multiple times throughout the episode. Having this series contrasting like this is good, but I just don’t want it to fall on it’s face later on. The show looks beautiful too, especially the ending theme. Plus the characters we’ve seen so far are interesting. Now my only question is, did someone pick this up for licensing? Cause right now Crunchyroll is only streaming it, and I haven’t found a company attached to the show yet. Oh well. Moving on!


Coppelion
Episode 1


When I did my early impressions, I was convinced that this show would go to FUNimation or something. I completely forgot that Viz Media still exists, so it surprised me a little to see that Coppelion was taken by Viz. Anywho, what do I think of this first episode? It’s hard to say. It sets it up rather nicely with exposition and an idea of what our three leading ladies are. However, the episode felt like it was longer then it actually should have been, which, to me, is a bad sign. I’m going to keep my eye on this on. If I still feel a little iffy about this show then I’ll probably drop it. I don’t want this to fall under series that have a lot of hype but then completely and utterly bomb like I felt with Sword Art Online. But we’ll see what happens.


Golden Time
Episode 1


I think I may have found my favorite show of the season! Well... At least right now anyways. Right now, I like the set up we have. We are introduced to our main character Banri and his first day of college. Add in a few characters including our female love interest Koko and we have potential fun and mayhem! This show is so sweet and enduring, and it even made me laugh quite a few times. I also already love Koko’s character, and can kind of relate to her. However, I also relate to Banri and his desire to start a new life in Tokyo, similar to myself starting anew in Jersey. I am so excited to see more Golden Time next week, and I really hope it keeps this level of charm and fun!


I Couldn’t Become a Hero, so I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job
Episode 1


Ok. So yes, this is similar to Devil is a Part Timer in premise. However, that’s where the comparison ends and my many many problems begin. Some of the moments of comedy were extremely dull and the story, as of right now, isn’t all that interesting. And do I really have to talk about the constant amounts of fan service in this single episode. There’s even a perverted old man who feels the butt of a girl so he can see her panties! This series doesn’t know what it’s doing, and I am glad to say that I am dropping this one. Just... Just no...


Kill La Kill
Episode 1


Next up the the first of the Fall shows that got picked up before even airing. This is an interesting one, animation wise. It kind of reminds me of older anime series with how the world is drawn and how fluid the movements are. This can be more of a product of the director though. I stated in my early impressions that the director also did Panty & Stocking along with Gurren Lagann, both of which were Gianax shows AKA the Fanboy Studio. It’s a nice touch to bring in a different style in with the series we keep seeing over and over today. The big problem I’m finding with Kill La Kill right now is the pacing. It just packed in a lot of information into one episode, and is always constantly moving with pretty much no breaks. This could be very harmful for the show later on. But, I am enjoying what I’m seeing, so I’ll keep on this one. I can’t make huge judgement calls based on one episode unless it does something that makes me want to kill it with fire. Kill La Kill, don’t disappoint me.


Log Horizon
Episode 1

Back to more knock off series! Hooray!! This time a virtual reality kind of one. Log Horizon is more generic than other series of this nature. Plus the world that Log Horizon builds isn’t really all that great. I know some people have their problems with Sword Art Online last year, but at least it created a really amazing world. Then there are some cliche gags and attempts at humor that just fall rather short. I think I’m done with this show. I’d be more inclined to rewatch SAO then keep up with this show. And if you know my thoughts on SAO, then you know that that’s a nice blow to Log Horizon.


Nagi no Asukara
Episode 1


Wow! This world is so beautiful! P.A. Works, you made something pretty! Just the underwater world alone makes this series great to watch! However, I do have a problem with the story. As of right now, it just seems similar to a Romeo and Juliet love story except the fish girl likes a human boy. Yes there’s other pieces of the story that have be mentioned, but it seems like this has been done before. I’m going to hang on to this one for at least another week to see where it goes. If it wants to keep the romance story and not try anything else, then this one may get dropped.


Strike the Blood
Episode 1


Well, here’s another one I’m really iffy about. Strike the Blood looks like you typical action series with vampires being involved (making this the second vampire related show for me this season). We get enough exposition to get an idea of what’s going on, yet it makes sure not to give away too much which is a nice touch there. Also, the characters are kind of interesting to watch. Mind you, there is a panty shot in this episode, but unlike I Couldn’t Become a Hero, there’s good reason for it. My big concern right now is I don’t really know where the story plans on going. But I am willing to give another episode a try and see where everything goes from here. Just don’t become something really really dumb please.

That's it for the first half of Week 1! Saturday I'll bring in the second half of my first week of Impressions with Week 2 starting up next Sunday! Until then, otaku on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment